Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

What We're Watching

Iranian VP resigns as hardliners flex muscle

Mohammad Javad Zarif

Iran's outgoing VP Mohammad Javad Zarif speaks during a news conference in Tehran back in 2019.

Nazanin Tabatabaee/WANA via Reuters
Make us preferred on Google
The administration of Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian suffered a second blow in as many days with the resignation Monday of Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s vice president for strategic affairs. His departure comes after the impeachment on Sunday of another Pezeshkian ally, Economy Minister Abdolnaser Hemmati, over the decline of the Iranian rial, and is a sign that conservative forces are gaining ground within the current administration.

A prominent reformist, Zarif previously served as foreign minister and was instrumental in negotiating Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with the United States, which earned him threats of bodily harm at the time from hardliners. Since taking office, he was reportedly targeted because his American-born children hold US passports, which hardliners claim disqualifies Zarif from holding public office under Iranian law. In his resignation letter, Zarif said he had “faced the most horrible insults, slander, and threats against myself and my family,” and that it was recommended that he “return to the university.”

How will this impact Pezeshkian, who entered office promising to improve the economy and pursue sanctions relief through improved engagement with the West? According to Eurasia analyst Greg Brew, these departures are signs that Pezeshkian is failing in both respects. “Pezeshkian himself admitted that though he wants to negotiate, the leader’s stance makes it impossible to do so. In other words, he’s admitting publicly that he can’t pursue any policy that goes against Khamenei.”

Ultimately this means he has limited power, Brew explains. “Pezeshkian exercises power fitfully, and without support from the leader he’s essentially a lame duck.”

More For You

A banner reading "Buy Canadian", in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's 25% tariffs on goods from Canada, is held aloft by a pair of hockey sticks in front of a house

A banner reading "Buy Canadian", in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's 25% tariffs on goods from Canada, is held aloft by a pair of hockey sticks in front of a house in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada March 5, 2025.

REUTERS/Ed White
US and Canada hold last-minute talks to avoid new tariffs Washington and Ottawa are down to the wire with talks to reach an agreement by 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, when President Donald Trump has threatened to impose 50% tariffs on over $20 billion of Canadian goods. The proposed tariffs would hit Canadian exports to the US — everything from hockey [...]
​U.S. Army soldiers take part in a U.S.-South Korea joint river-crossing exercise.

U.S. Army soldiers take part in a U.S.-South Korea joint river-crossing exercise, which is a part of the annual Freedom Shield joint military training, near the demilitarized zone separating South and North Korea, in Yeoncheon, South Korea, March 14, 2026.

REUTERS/Kim Soo-hyeon
Trump puts another dent in US-South Korea relationsPresident Donald Trump announced Sunday that the US would scale back future joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the allies’ annual August drills kicked off today. In a Truth Social post, Trump cited his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and said Seoul had [...]
A person casts a vote at a polling station during Zambia's general elections, including a presidential election, in Lusaka, Zambia.

A person casts a vote at a polling station during Zambia's general elections, including a presidential election, in Lusaka, Zambia, August 13, 2026.

REUTERS/Jean Mandela
Zambians want their slice of the copper piePolls closed in Zambia’s presidential election on Thursday as voters in one of Africa’s most stable democracies weighed whether the country’s economic turnaround has actually affected their wallets. President Hakainde Hichilema, who is seeking a second term, has overseen a successful debt restructuring, [...]
Nearly 5,000 protesters took part in a march against illegal immigration in Pretoria.

June 30, 2026 , Pretoria, South Africa: Nearly 5,000 protesters took part in a march against illegal immigration in Pretoria. The demonstrations were reportedly organized by more than 20 anti-migrant organizations and civil society groups, including the March and March movement.

© Manash Das/ZUMA Press Wire
South Africa bills other nations for deportationsSouth Africa is asking other African countries to reimburse them for the costs of deporting their citizens, after spending nearly $18 million on a massive deportation campaign. In recent months, the government has deported or helped other nations repatriate more than 80,000 migrants as it responds [...]