Are Russia and China trying to recruit disgruntled US federal employees?

Kremlin
The Kremlin
China and Russia are reportedly looking to exploit US federal workforce cuts by targeting recently fired or at-risk federal employees in national security roles for recruitment, according to sources familiar with US intelligence. The quarries? Employees with top security clearances and information about America’s critical infrastructure and government operations.

A Naval Criminal Investigative Service document said US intelligence had determined that foreign officers had been instructed to look for possible targets on LinkedIn, TikTok, RedNote, and Reddit, focusing on employees who indicate that they are “open to work.”

Shooting the messenger. Some in the US intelligence community have reportedly raised these concerns internally, but Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard said the ones flagging the issue are the problem. She said internal discussions at the CIA about this are a “threat” and questioned the loyalty of those involved.

“They’re exposing themselves essentially by making this indirect threat — using their propaganda arm through CNN that they've used over and over and over again — to reveal their hand, that their loyalty is not at all to America. ... not to the American people or the Constitution. It is to themselves,” Gabbard said.

More from GZERO Media

National Security Advisor Mike Waltz looks on as he sits next to US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in the Oval Office on March 13, 2025.

REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

Someone needs to take National Security Advisor Michael Waltz’s phone out of his hand.

President Donald Trump holds a "Foreign Trade Barriers" document as he delivers remarks on tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House on April 2, 2025.

REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Donald Trump’s much-anticipated “liberation day” tariff announcement on Wednesday is the biggest disruption to global trade in decades, so the political, diplomatic, and economic impacts will take time to become clear.

Elon Musk waves to the crowd as he exits the stage during a town hall on Sunday, March 30, 2025, at the KI Convention Center in Green Bay, Wis.

Tork Mason/USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin via Reuters

Donald Trump is reportedly telling people that he and Elon Musk have agreed that Musk’s work in the US government will soon be done. Politico’s story broke just as Musk seems to have discovered the electoral limits of his charm.

- YouTube

What's going to be the reaction to the Trump trade war against Europe but also against the rest of the world? Carl Bildt, former prime minister of Sweden and co-chair of the European Council on Foreign Relations, shares his perspective on European politics from Stockholm, Sweden.

A ''Buy Canadian Instead'' sign is displayed on top of bottles, hanging above another sign that reads "American Whiskey," at a B.C. Liquor Store in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
REUTERS/Chris Helgren//File Photo

Even before Trump’s tariff announcement on Wednesday, Canadian consumers were engaged in a grassroots trade war aimed at hurting American companies. The “Buy Canadian” movement is having a moment.

Jess Frampton

Pierre Poilievre’s support of the trucker convoy in 2022 helped him win the Conservative leadership, and, ever since, he has stuck with the people whose fury fueled his rise. But that same approach is hurting him ahead of this month’s federal election.

Global energy demand is growing, and meeting it requires all forms of energy — oil, gas, and renewables — working together. Enbridge is investing in all of the above. Billions in renewables. Decades of reliable oil and gas infrastructure. Because keeping the world moving isn’t about picking one solution — it’s about using them all. The bottom line: The energy future is evolving. We’re ready. Learn more here.