Maduro doubles down against opposition duo

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks during a march amid the disputed presidential election, in Caracas, Venezuela August 3, 2024.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks during a march amid the disputed presidential election, in Caracas, Venezuela August 3, 2024.
REUTERS/Maxwell Briceno

A week after declaring victory — so far without evidence — in Venezuela’s hotly disputed election, socialist strongman Nicolas Maduro isn’t backing down.

Investigators opened criminal probes against opposition leader Maria Corina Machado and opposition candidate Edmundo González on Monday, following their recent appeal to the country’s military and police to abandon Maduro and “take the side of the people.”

Venezuelan authorities, which announced Maduro as the winner with 53% of the vote, haven’t published voting records to support this claim, and have cracked down on protests. The opposition, meanwhile, collected vote tallies from more than two-thirds of precincts, which pointed to a landslide win for González, who ran in Machado’s place after she was banned.

For now, the criminal probe is likely more bark than bite, says Risa Grais-Targow, a Venezuela expert at Eurasia Group. “It’s meant to deter other opposition figures,” she says, but locking up the two most prominent faces of an unusually unified Venezuelan opposition “would lead to a harsher international response and potentially blow up the streets.”

In other words, Maduro, so far weathering the blowback of what looks like a stolen election, wants to intimidate the opposition without provoking a situation that could quickly spin out of control. So far, it’s working.

More from GZERO Media

Marine Le Pen, French member of parliament and parliamentary leader of the far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National - RN) party and Jordan Bardella, president of the French far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National - RN) party and member of the European Parliament, gesture during an RN political rally in Bordeaux, France, September 14, 2025.
REUTERS/Stephane Mahe

Army Chief Asim Munir holds a microphone during his visit at the Tilla Field Firing Ranges (TFFR) to witness the Exercise Hammer Strike, a high-intensity field training exercise conducted by the Pakistan Army's Mangla Strike Corps, in Mangla, Pakistan, on May 1, 2025.

Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR)/Handout via REUTERS

Field Marshal Asim Munir, the country’s de facto leader, consolidated his power after the National Assembly rammed through a controversial constitutional amendment this month that grants him lifelong immunity from any legal prosecution.

In this episode of Tools and Weapons, Microsoft Vice Chair and President Brad Smith sits down with Ed Policy, President and CEO of the Green Bay Packers, to discuss how purpose-driven leadership and innovation are shaping the future of one of the world’s most iconic sports franchises. Ed shares how technology and community-focused initiatives, from Titletown Tech to health and safety innovations on the field, are transforming not just the game of football, but the economy and culture of Green Bay itself. He explains how combining strategic vision with investment in local startups is keeping talent in the Midwest and creating opportunities that extend far beyond Lambeau Field.

Subscribe and find new episodes monthly, wherever you listen to podcasts.

People walk past a damaged building during the funeral of Hezbollah's top military official, Haytham Ali Tabtabai, and of other people who were killed by an Israeli airstrike on Sunday, despite a U.S.-brokered truce a year ago, in Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon November 24, 2025.
REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

The Israeli military assassinated a senior Hezbollah commander in an airstrike on the Lebanese capital of Beirut on Sunday. The attack killed at least five people overall.

Servicemen of the 148th Separate Artillery Zhytomyr Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine fire a Caesar self-propelled howitzer towards Russian troops at a position on the front line, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, near the frontline town of Pokrovsk in Donetsk region, Ukraine November 23, 2025.
REUTERS/Anatolii Stepanov

After facing backlash that the US’s first 28-point peace deal was too friendly towards Russia, American and Ukrainian negotiators drafted a new 19-point plan on Monday.